The practice of using charcoal briquets and smoker blocks for cooking barbecue or grilling all kinds of food have been around for a very long time. They were invented in the latter part of the 19th century but their usage only started to become widespread when Henry Ford realized he could recycle the scraps of wood he had in his automobile factory into small pieces of charcoal. What he did was turn these scraps of wood into charcoal dust and then compress them to form small blocks of charcoal that we now know as briquets or briquettes. Since then, people have discovered that charcoal briquets are excellent for cooking barbecue or grilling meats.
The process involved in manufacturing Frontier’s Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal Briquets and Smoker Blocks is similar. Instead of using scrap wood or just any type of regular wood, Frontier uses real Jack Daniels whiskey barrels. These barrels have contained Jack Daniels whiskey for long periods of time so the whiskey have already thoroughly soaked the barrel or wood. These barrels are then brought into their manufacturing plant or factory and broken into smaller pieces. In the case of the charcoal briquets, they undergo several heating processes until charcoal is produced. These charcoals are then grounded into dust and compressed into a particular size. Normally, they will still have a very high rate of moisture by this time which makes them crumble easily. They are then re-heated so that moisture is reduced or significantly minimized. As a result, they become very dry and light. Finally, they are divided according to particular amounts and transferred into packages that are then sealed and shipped either to their stock rooms or else delivered to their retailers.
In the case of the smoker blocks, their sizes are just maintained after they are broken from the whiskey barrels. They are then packaged together with the charcoal briquets.
Typically, these charcoal briquets and smoker blocks are made from oak, so the quality of their wood is very good.
To help you decide whether this product is worth buying, we’ll review it in more detail below, but in order to give you a bird’s eye view or snapshot of the product in terms of its quality, here’s a table with this reviewer’s personal ratings.
|Easy to light or burn||Smokiness||Aroma||Flavor it gives your food||Overall rating|
A Detailed Look at Frontier’s Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal Briquets and Smoker Blocks
Frontier is known for the eclectic variety of their products. Their items range from electronic devices like remote controls and “immersion circulators” used for cooking; service trolleys, portable tool organizers, and safe boxes; to organic products like herbs used for seasoning, cinnamon powder, and sesame seeds. Add the Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal Briquets and Smoker Blocks and you have a very interesting mix.
Despite this, Frontier managed to produce very high quality briquets and smoker blocks, as if those are their sole products. They are very easy to use and they last a long time. They surpass many, if not most, of their rivals.
Below, this reviewer lists down the product’s pros and cons.
- The quality of the charcoal briquets is high. They are well-binded, meaning they don’t crumble easily. This is probably because the moisture level in the product is very low. There’s also a kind of substance that’s mixed into it to hold it together.
- The size of the charcoal briquets is also perfect — that is, they are not too small nor are they too big. They are easy to hold or scoop together.
- The charcoal briquets are also made from authentic Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrels.
- The quality of the smoker blocks is also very high. Their size is enough, not too big or too small, and they blend well with the sizes of the charcoal briquets.
- The smoker blocks are also made from genuine Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrels.
- Because both the charcoal briquets and the smoker blocks are made from real, aged Jack Daniels whiskey barrels, they provide your barbecue or meats with that distinct Jack Daniels taste making it very delicious and savory.
- They also infuse your barbecue with that much sought-after smoky aroma.
- Because of the quality of the charcoal briquets and smoker blocks, they tend to burn longer than regular or ordinary charcoal, or even those from rival charcoal briquets and smoker blocks.
- The charcoal briquets and smoker blocks are easy to light up. You don’t need to use a lot of fuel, if any.
- The amount of smoke produced by the charcoal briquets and smoker blocks once they are lit up is just enough — that is, not too much to stifle you, nor too little to underwhelm the barbecued meat.
- The aroma that sticks into the barbecue is authentically Jack Daniels Whiskey. You will know this if you are a Jack Daniels connoisseur. The smell is certainly discernible.
- The flavor the charcoal briquets and smoker blocks give the meat or barbecue is distinctly Jack Daniels Whiskey. It has that undeniable smoky smell as well.
- So overall, what the charcoal briquets and smoker blocks do to your barbecue is make it really delicious and authentically charcoal-grilled. You, your family, or guests will certainly see the difference when you use this product.
- The size of the package seems to be an issue. Perhaps the manufacturers can work on a bigger package moving forward. Or maybe offer several sizes for their packages, like say, regular and large.
- The product seems to be a bit pricey considering the size of the package and the amount of charcoal briquets and smoker blocks.
C. Best features of the product
- One of the best features of the product is definitely the taste it brings to the meat that is grilled. If you are a barbecue aficionado, you will certainly notice the difference between food that is grilled using Frontier’s Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal Briquets and Smoker Blocks versus those that are cooked using just regular charcoal or wood. The latter simply gives you a bland or tasteless barbecue that is sure to spoil your dinner or party.
- The second feature of the product that is satisfying is the aroma. It brings forth an authentic Jack Daniels Whiskey taste to the barbecue. The smokiness immediately catches your nostrils without overwhelming you.
- Moreover, it’s not difficult to light. There are some brands of charcoal briquets and smoker blocks that are suffused with kerosene or similar fuel. That makes it hazardous for its users. The burnt fuel also goes into the food you will be eating. That poses potential health hazards.
D. What you get in the package
The following are the items you will see once you open the Frontier Jack Daniels Whiskey Charcoal Briquets and Smoker Blocks:
- The charcoal briquets, and
- The smoker blocks
So what is this reviewer’s verdict? Considering all of those factors — the taste the charcoal briquets and smoker blocks give the barbecue, the aroma it gives off, the smokiness that is produced by them, and the ease with which you can light them up, as well as the duration that the briquets and smoker blocks burn, it is easy to say that it deserves a very high rating. In this case, a nine out of ten score.
As mentioned, the product only has two issues: The size of the package, and therefore the amount of its contents, and its price. It may seem a bit too expensive for its size. Frontier may want to increase the size of its package, or maybe offer several sizes to choose from. When you’re grilling large amounts of meats for a big group of people, you’d want to have a good supply of charcoal briquets at the ready. You might run out of charcoal if you’re not prepared.
But you may also look at it this way: If you want to have high quality smoker blocks and charcoal briquets for your barbecue, the price may be justifiable. And if you think about it, the price difference between Frontier’s and those of rival brands of briquets and smoker blocks is not that great. Wouldn’t you be willing to pay a slightly higher price for a product that is sure to deliver good results? And we all know that quality meat is not cheap. We surely don’t want to use regular charcoal or cheap smoker blocks and charcoal briquets for our expensive food.
So yes, you should definitely try Frontier’s Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal Briquets and Smoker blocks. You won’t regret it.